1. what is the most popular pub name in britain?
hint: it contains the name of a color and the name of an animal, but it is not the magenta bumblebee. or the navy squirrel. don't cheat! any guesses? (there is a pub by this name in oxford, where i had a really delicious lunch the other day...pub food = delicious.)
2. today i went to the top of the tower at st. mary's chuch in oxford, a 14th century church with a great view of the city (more photos of that later).

one of the women who works at our program is the church guardian (whatever that means), and took sally and i around. she told us a story which she says she's never had substantiated, but she's heard it "500 times, from 500 different people, and it's always the same." a famous author used to worship at st. mary's church, and apparently got the idea of his most famous book when exiting the west entrance (now unused).
one of the women who works at our program is the church guardian (whatever that means), and took sally and i around. she told us a story which she says she's never had substantiated, but she's heard it "500 times, from 500 different people, and it's always the same." a famous author used to worship at st. mary's church, and apparently got the idea of his most famous book when exiting the west entrance (now unused).
across an alleyway and immediately in front of him when he left this door he saw this:
some closer details of the door:
and the author could turn right and see this:
who was the author and what book did he (allegedly) gain inspiration for when leaving st. mary's church?

5 comments:
1) The Red Lion. I think of Richard the Lionhearted and red seems like a good pub color. I am resisting every temptation to submit The Purple Peacock as my official answer.
2) Whoever wrote Rip Van Winkle, that one about the old dude under the tree. That's what the gold thingy looks like.
1) I have to agree with Joey on the lion bit, but I'm going to say it's a gold or golden lion perhaps?
2) C.S. Lewis and the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe!
Wow, you really have to wake up early to beat these people. For what it's worth, I was going to say the Red Lion and the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe toooooooooo!
The elf thing looks on the door like the centaur/horse thing in the Lion,the Witch and the Wardrobe.
I like the Red Lion too,
Clearly I need to read this book. I am the only quiz taker to miss #2.
Post a Comment