Tuesday, July 21, 2009

rewind to switzerland

in the final installment of my series of telling you about places i visited earlier in my travels, we have switzerland, the country that stole my rain jacket and brought lots of rain, but was gorgeous when the rain finally cleared.  we were in two cities, interlaken and geneva, and i loved interlaken and was ehh about geneva.  we'd added two days in geneva only because jenny found a cheap flight out of that city and i found a cheap flight from there to the uk, so it seemed logical to end the trip there.  all photos in this post are courtesy of jenny, since my camera was broken/dead in switzerland and magically started working again when i got to the uk.  i can't explain it, but it probably has something to do with my lack of technological magic.

first, interlaken:


just outside of town:


jenny should win a photography award for the following photo - I LOVE IT, and it reminds me of just how beautiful interlaken was (when the rain stopped).  interlaken was so calming - small town in the foothills of the alps, none of the craziness or dirtiness of the previous cities we'd visited.  and while those cities were really fun, it was nice to take a bit of a break from it.  jenny took this picture on the last day when we were walking to dinner at a really yummy chinese restaurant.


on the last day we were there, we walked to dinner (as mentioned above) and the clouds had lifted for the first time, and you could see the snow capped mountains that were actually relatively near by.  gorgeous...look closely and you can see them here.



when we were in interlaken i mentioned briefly a terrifying moment on a scooter.  this is me and jenny with the scooter we rented!  jenny drove and i rode behind her and it was all fun and games until it started to rain a bit and the scooter got a mind of its own.  don't worry: no permanent wounds were inflicted on the scooter or claire and jenny.


only one photo from geneva, of the flower clock!  the numbers on the clock are all flowers, as is the background...the whole thing is part sundial, part working clock.  you can see the 7, 8, and 9 out to the left (the shadow from the hands would reach all the way out there), but the 10, 11, and 12 are on the inner circle/normal part of the clock...and the seconds hand is immediately above the 5 in this picture.


for those of you who have been bored by these "rewind" posts (ahem...becky...), i totally understand - and they are over forever!  more on oxford and the present moment soon...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I haven't read your blog in over a week because I lead a Very Important Life, and so much has happened! I won't be mentioning on anything in the post that this comment is attached to because it is a rewind post, and we all know how I feel about those...

I'm so glad that fever kid is doing better. What a terrible way to spend your summer vacation! I bet he wanted his mom, but you and Larry seem to be good substitutes. Also, I wish I was at the store with you when you spent $700 on Kleenex and Purell. As a side note, I have found that children (but perhaps not teenagers) LOVE using hand sanitizer and will put it on every 7-10 minutes.

Were you giddy when you saw the real dining hall from Harry Potter? I was the movie, but it wasn't as fun to have Laura explain it as when you explained the previous ones.

So happy that things seem to be going well! Though I'm not sure you should maintain the expectation that one may drink at one's place of employment, because I think that is a slippery slope toward the A&E Channel's hit show "Intervention."

xoxo
Becky

Unknown said...

I made several grammatical and spelling errors in my comment. I apologize and would like all your readers to know that I now see those mistakes and I am not an idiot.