i am now impressed that they attempted a full peal today, and i hope they were able to do it successfully. it seems pretty technical once you read that article.
after visiting the abbey this morning, i had lunch and then went to the roman baths that bath is named for. apparently around 60 AD the romans found a naturally occurring hot spring in the area that is now bath and built a religious temple/spa on the site. the ticket price to the roman bath museum included an audioguide that you hold up to your ear and it guides you around the museum while telling you fun facts and information...you get to look at the baths and go through a museum with roman artifacts and information about what the area would have looked like at the time. the audioguide was really quite well done and i learned a lot. the best part was that bill bryson (the american-british travel writer) had recorded some audio, as well, so after you heard the historical information bill bryson would come on and give you his musings on the topic. i love bill bryson and was extremely entertained by this.
this is just a pretty row of buildings in bath - it's called the royal crescent. there was another park in this area of town for me to lie around in and read and people watch, so i spent some time there this afternoon.
now, being on my own in a country where i don't know anyone and have no access to tv, i have been reading a lot. it's amazing how much time you have to read if you aren't watching tv! (i know, i know - OBVIOUSLY, but i forgot.) i probably watch 2 hours of tv a day when i'm at home, and this has been replaced with 2 (more, actually) hours of reading a day. right now i am reading THE BEST BOOK and you all need to go out and buy it. it's called "a spot of bother," and it's by mark haddon, who wrote "the curious incident of the dog in the night-time" which i also loved (read both of them. now.). i am laughing out loud in public as i read this book. out loud. it is better than tv.
i also consider myself the book fairy, dropping books i've finished in countries so i don't have to carry them. i left one in the hostel in munich, another in the hostel in london, and i may finish "a spot of bother" here in bath tonight. this is the best book i've read in a long time, though, and i am sad to leave it here. i need to get over that.

5 comments:
Claire,
Check out http://www.bookcrossing.com/. I remember reading about this (I found it was back in December) and was able to to pull it up in my Google Reader.
Could be cool to see where your books go next.
Yay for pictures again. New camera?
Dear Claire,
I am sitting here with your mother. We are in Westport after a lobster dinner. We are all having a great time. Today we went for a walk to the ocean and helped Jory and beth with their new house. Dodie is the project, handy queen. Your trip sounds amazing. Private room-yeah! I like Bath. I'm going to check out that book.
Much love, Aunt Ellen and Cousin Isabel
Your travels sounds fabulous-I hope its not too lonely without Jenny-take advantage of the alone time. I am with jory and Beth and Ellen/Isabel-we went to the ocean but it was tooooo cold=maybe tomorrow Had lobster and huge shrimp for dinner-on Jory's new outdppr gtrillmaster 5000 super duper grill. I get to cut the grass with Jory's John Deere lawnmower tomorrow. Thanks for all the good stories, etc.
Woo -
I was about to tell you all about a full peal and why it's such a big deal, but apparently you already looked it up. Next time you are in D.C. remind me to take you to the Old Post Office - you can go up into the bell tower for free (good alternative to the Washington Monument) and learn more than you ever wanted to know about full peals, and see pictures. They're really proud of their bell ringing there!
Also, I wasn't a big fan of the first Mark Haddon book, but I will take your recommendation for the second. And good for you leaving excellent books along the road! I was definitely the person picking up books at every hostel because I was constantly running out. Just ask Jen sometime about "The Learning Curve" - the trashiest Brit chick-lit ever! (These are the depths to which I had to descend.)
Sorry for the longest comment ever, but have fun!
Post a Comment